Hawley Retainer is the most durable retainer, because it is made of hard acrylic and stainless steel wire. It is also called wire retainers, these are removable retainers made of thin metal wire and acrylic shaped to fit the roof of your mouth or along the inside of your lower teeth. The embed metal wire runs across the outside of your teeth to maintain alignment.
The Hawley Retainer has following advantages:
1. The retainer can be adjusted if you need a better fit when you first get it or if your teeth need slight realignment later.
2. It’s slightly more durable than a clear plastic retainer.
3. It may be repairable if broken.
4. It can last for years if used and cared for properly.
5. The upper and lower teeth touch naturally with this type of retainer.